Medway Neurological Network
Impacts for Medway Residents
• Co-ordinated representation and a ‘stronger voice’ for people with neurological conditions.
• Improved sharing of information and support available in Medway – including activities like ‘Singing & Rhythmic Movement Groups’ and ‘Exercise sessions for people with Parkinsons’.
• Online community giving enabling greater access to information and news about neurological conditions.
How Medway Voluntary Action supported this organisation
MVA were approached by the Parkinson's UK - Medway and District Working Age Group and the Medway group of the MS Society who were seeking support to develop a Neurological Alliance in Medway.
The rationale being that there are a wide range of neurological conditions all with their specific needs, there is common ground on number of issues, together they would have a stronger voice and be able to share knowledge and resource.
MVA helped to support the development of this group by:
• providing a list of local organisations and contacts within relevant organisations across Medway,
• Hosting the initial meetings, suggested contacts within statutory bodies that they should engage with and supported the development of Terms of Reference for the group,
• Providing support and advice where needed on issues like applying for funds, publicising the network and its activities and supporting their search for volunteers.
The group held its inaugural meeting November 2015.