What is Employer Supported Volunteering?
Employer Supported volunteering (ESV) is where the employees of an organisation can take paid time off to volunteer during work hours. Employees can choose to use their volunteering time to support a local charity or community group in Medway either of their own choice, or one supported by their employer.
Supporting employees with opportunities to volunteer can have a significant impact on their employee engagement. ESV also helps to unite local Charities and Community Groups.
In the wake of Covid and the sectors recovery from it there has never been a better time for organisations to support employees to be able to volunteer and help local causes in Medway.
Benefits of Employer Supported Volunteering Programmes for Organisations
For organisations considering supporting their employees to volunteer there are many great reasons for employers to consider it:
Benefits of Employer Supported Volunteering Programmes for Employees
- It can raise an organisations profile and reputation in Medway and it’s communities
- It can increase the quality of their recruitment programmes
- It can increase a workforces’ awareness of local causes, skill sets and enhance their learning and development
- It can increase employee motivation, morale, loyalty and retention
- It can also aid the improvement of communication and understanding between their employees
For local employees considering volunteering through their employer, there are also many benefits including:
Benefits of Employer Supported Volunteering Programmes for Local Communities
- It will give them opportunities to develop their personal, communication and organisational skills
- They can make friends and meet new people
- It will give them a sense of purpose and fulfilment
- It can provide opportunities for them to work in different environments and on issues they care about
- Stronger connections with their local communities in Medway
In addition to the benefits to organisations and employees, Employer Supported Volunteering (ESV) also provides invaluable (and much needed) additional support to communities and local causes in Medway:
Examples of Employer Supported Volunteering
- By providing enthusiastic volunteers with specialist skills for specific needs
- Present differing viewpoints and a wider perspective on community issues
- Helps to expand support networks for local residents
- Enhance volunteer capacity in Medway, meaning we can help more people in more ways
Employee Supported Volunteering comes in many shapes and sizes. Below are a few examples of how organisations and their employees can help out through ESV:
- Career Talks in local Schools, Colleges, Universities
- Volunteer Community Support Days
- Supporting one off events (stalls, awareness, activities)
If this sounds like something you’d like to get involved in then MVA can help. Check out their new resources below or contact them on 01634 812 850 or email@example.com for more information on their ‘ESV Discovery Sessions’.
to download MVA’s New Employer Supported Volunteering Guide
to visit MVA’s New Employer Supported Volunteering Webpage